Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Wildcrafting and Foraging

 This blog is about FORAGING and WILDCRAFTING in Central New York and the Adirondack mountains. 


Long ago, I came across "Stalking The Wild Asparagus" by Euell Gibbons. I studied it and learned how to identify many plants. In the decades that followed, I built on that foundation learning more about wild plants and how they could be used for food and medicine. In the last few years, thanks to a local mycology club I have added mushrooms ~ fungi to what I forage.

Wildcrafting is the art of harvesting plants from their natural, or "wild" habitat, for food or medicine.

Foraging is the art searching for wild food resources.

Do you want to know more about edible, medicinal, and useful wild plants? Would you like to identify wild flowers? This is the bog for you. Follow me and let the adventure begin.



Barberry






Milkweed blossoms





Wild Strawberry


A basket of Wild Leeks (also called Ramps) and Morel mushrooms ~ a spring treat

 

No comments:

Post a Comment